Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tears & Ashes

Something occurred to me last night.

I was cleaning up some paperwork (you know...medical bills, lab reports, yada yada) and I got a bit weepy. The tears accidentally fell onto one of those bits of paper, and it hit me.

When I was "talking" to your Dad, laying there all peaceful in his casket, I was crying so, so hard. I'm not sure any coherent words actually came out, but that's beside the point. I did notice some of my tears drop onto his shirt. I couldn't very well wipe 'em off, now could I?!

(Reaching into a casket and tugging on the deceased's clothing is not exactly good funerary etiquette)

And last night it struck me - my tears, and your ashes, were buried in that casket alongside your Dad. There's a tiny part of you and I which will always be together, forever.

And that gave me some comfort, kiddo.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Dude, you have a blog over here! I am so bookmarking this! :D

You have been through so much in the past few months, I can't even imagine. My heart aches every time I think about you. Many hugs, babe.

Ros said...

That's a powerful thought.. I never thought of it that way, but I guess I could say the same thing now (about the tears being in the ashes). (monabap from ywbb, btw)