Friday, June 27, 2008

Our little Luna




Just when you think you can move a few steps forward....something happens, and it sets you back a few thousand miles.

This might seem silly. Trivial, even. Perhaps it seems unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Still, it happened, and my heart is once more broken.

In 1999, my then-husband Greg and I adopted two little kittens. Luna Sea (lunacy - geddit?) and Silver Star.

Silver was her Daddy's girl. And Luna was, being smaller and the runt of the litter, a complete Mommy's girl. Not the brightest kitty on the planet, she would literally hold your hand while you were typing, and she'd offer the best cuddles and kitty kisses ever. She was my little goofball.

Today, Greg and Wendy had to put our Luna to sleep. This has hit me like a tonne of fucking bricks.

Gonna recap here, just a sec.

Rob - died 12/25/07
Brian (my stepfather) - died 3/29/08
Bob (Rob's Dad) - died 4/3/08
Mum - died 4/29/08

and now, our Luna.

I know, she was a kitty. And as such, we're not meant to grieve for our pets quite so much; yet that doesn't stop me from sobbing, and it doesn't stop me from wondering, "How much is one person expected to endure?!".

Rest in peace, my little Luna.

I'm just glad she had two Mommies - Wendy and I - and a Daddy who absolutely adored her.

Just wish I could stop crying.

Meh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Tess.

I do so get it. Here's my timeline (albeit less difficult than yours):

December 12, 2001: Fred, my kitty. She was 15.

January 13, 2003: Unger, my labrador. She was 14.

May 12, 2003: My Don. He was 53.

It sucks so very hard, and please don't think you 'shouldn't' grieve her as hard because she was "just" a kitty. Pets give us unconditional love like no one else here on earth can do. Your heart is broken.

You will (obviously) grieve her differently than your Wombat, but in some ways, just as deeply. It has been more than 5 years, and at times I still call one of my kitties "Fred."

Hugs to you.

Sari said...

Tess, I'm sorry. Not only is it hard to lose a pet under the most normal of circumstances, add in all the other hard times and it's really unfair. ((HUGS))

Hana said...

OK, you win on "life sucks" level.

March 1999 - we got married
April 1999 - adopted our black kitty
April 2, 2008 - Ash died
April 12, 2008 - "evil kitty" died

She literally died of grief, 10 days after my husband.
And 5 of our close friends got divorced since January. What is going on?

Ros said...

I'm sorry for all your sadness and loss.
((hugs))
Ros (monabap from ywbb)